The Fellowships offer an opportunity to network with a global group of journalists, spend time away from the daily pressure of deadlines, and examine the key issues facing the industry, with input from leading experts and practitioners. Fellowships last one, two or three terms.
Candidates will work with an experienced supervisor, usually an Oxford academic or senior practitioner, to produce a research paper which will be published and promoted by the Reuters Institute. Fellows will attend seminars given by a diverse and high-level range of guest speakers who will share their insights into key industry trends and developments.
- To be considered for a Fellowship you must have a minimum of five years' journalistic experience, or in rare cases demonstrate the equivalent level of expertise.;
- You will be able to write at a publishable level of English, allowing you to participate in the fellowship and produce papers when necessary. If English is not your first language, please present suitable evidence (this is an original certificate no more than two years old and issued by the relevant body) that you are at a suitable standard.
Most Journalist Fellowships are fully-funded and cover living costs and accommodation. There are some opportunities for self-funded candidates.
To apply, you will need to submit the following documents and information using our online application form (below):
- A full curriculum vitae/resume;
- A personal statement outlining i) your journalistic values, ii) the major trends in the media landscape in which you work, and iii) a summary of what you think you would contribute to the Fellowship programme (no more than 500 words in total);
- A statement of up to 1,000 words explaining your proposed research project;
- A reference from your employer, supporting your application and granting leave of absence - if you are a freelance journalist, a professional reference from a colleague or higher education tutor is accepted;
- A second professional reference (e.g. former employer);
- A sample of your work.