The annual Forum brings together key European and Australian young and senior leaders to provide input and ideas designed to diversify and intensify the EU-Australia relationship in key areas. As part of the annual EU-Australia Leadership Forum an Emerging Leaders Forum is run immediately prior to, and in conjunction with, the Senior Leaders Forum.
The core of the project is the EU-Australia Senior and Emerging Leaders Forum, a high-level event that is held alternately in Australia and in Europe. The project's overall objective is to broaden and deepen the existing ties between the EU and Australia and in so doing, to help shape the vision for the partnership, based on the EU-Australia Framework Agreement and the forthcoming negotiations for an EU-Australia Free Trade Agreement.
This year’s forum will focus on the following topics:
- Movement of people: EU and Australian perspectives;
- Environment, climate change and energy transition;
- Industry 4.0;
- Women’s leadership in Europe and Australia;
- Risks of war: the view from the Indo-Pacific and the EU;
- Digitalisation with a focus on privacy and data protection;
- Space cooperation: the next frontier; and
- Civil society in the EU-Australia relationship.
- Applicants must be aged 35 years or under at the time of the closing date for applications (31 May 2018);
- Citizens and permanent residents of Australia or an EU Member State are eligible to apply;
- Candidates should demonstrate proven leadership ability in the government, business, civil society, academia, or media sectors.
Five years of professional experience after the first university graduation and professional experience in the priority areas of the EU-Australia relationship are required. Please note that previous Emerging Leaders Forum participants are not eligible to apply.
In step 1 of the application process, you will be asked to provide your personal details and contact information. Step 2 includes information on your educational qualifications, language skills and membership of professional bodies (if applicable). In step 3, you will be asked to provide three statements of no more than 300 words each. In Step 4 you will be required to upload copies of your CV, travel document, and essay samples.